Monday, June 21, 2021

a healthy babe

This morning we had the exciting twenty week ultrasound!  Phillip is traveling and Bethany is in NoVA tending to their sick puppy, so it was the plan to have them join via FaceTime.  They also asked if Maria (Phillip's mom) could join.  I was happy to have her there with me!  Since Phillip's sister is also in the states from Argentina, she came as well - it was a party.  A little weird since I had never met his sister before, but what do I care - let's make it a family affair!

I got into the ultrasound room a couple of minutes early, before Maria and Beth arrived.  Once they arrived there was really no formal meeting, just here'

s my big belly out for all to see!  The ultrasound technician would not allow for Bethany and Phillip to be on FaceTime during the initial few minutes of the scan just in case there wasn't good news to share.  I was able to video that part of the ultrasound to send them later.  Once given the go-ahead, everyone was on the call and watching.  It was beautiful.  Sweet little thing has a strong heartbeat of 152 and is measuring right on track!  The tech went through all of the organs the best she could.  Since baby is breeched and face down, there was not the ability to get good views of the heart or face.  There is no reason to suspect any issues there, but it does mean that we will need another ultrasound at 24 weeks to try and confirm no issues lie in those areas.

At one point a really insensitive comment was made and it made me super uncomfortable, but I think it was handled well.  Just when I think I understand the family dynamics, I am thrown a curveball - none of my beeswax, but uncomfortable nonetheless.

Dr. C. confirmed that everything looked good and she has no concerns.  I asked about potentially scheduling a cesarean earlier than 39 weeks to alleviate additional family issues, but apparently, that is not an ethical practice in the birthing world.  What we can possibly do is have an ultrasound closer to then to see if it is necessary to take the baby earlier or not.  Thus, we were put on the calendar for 1230pm October 29th!  Surgery is scheduled!  It makes it all so real!

Even though I have been feeling the baby move like crazy, I haven't been able to see the movements from the exterior.  Well, this was substantiated when Dr. C said that I have an anterior placenta.  All this means is that the placenta is at the front of my belly.  It really has no bearing on any health concerns and can happen quite often.  I think the most important part is that it is not blocking the cervix at all.  

All in all, a wonderful day to celebrate!  



2 comments: