Thursday, March 5, 2020

drum roll please

Ladies and gents - the timeline has arrived!  I have had several hours to internally figure out what this means and while I was extremely discouraged at first, I know this is not my plan - it is God's plan and I am just a means to the end. 

The ultimate date of transfer (which can vary based on external impacts) is scheduled for April 27th.  There are so many factors to consider, none of which really are about me.  If you think about it, the donor eggs are coming from one individual and going to three different sets of intended parents.  This means that four people's schedules have to be taken into consideration when the timeline is developed. 

Yes, I want it sooner - I mean I want the damned transfer NOW!  It doesn't work that way, though.  Also, with a transfer date of April 27th, it means that the due date will be mid-January (January 12th - my mom's birthday) based on one calculator I used.  My goal from the beginning was to deliver in 2020.  I have to keep remembering that this is totally God's timing and frankly, it is still very likely that we can deliver this year.  My OBGYN will schedule a cesarean at 39 weeks regardless and for any given factor could take me earlier.  Of course, I will discuss this with them, but for insurance purposes, they cannot elect to take a baby for no reason, earlier than 39 weeks.

I also think a lot about the "what ifs."  What if the embryo splits?!?  Twins are almost never carried to term, so this is a possibility.  What if there are other unforeseen circumstances?  Of course, as long as the health of me or the baby are not in jeopardy, I will take them if it means a delivery in 2020!  For instance, Meade was scheduled to be delivered at 39 weeks.  4 days prior to that scheduled delivery, I went in for an ultrasound and it was noticed that I was leaking fluid and she needed to be delivered that day instead.  There are so many factors that will be taken into consideration and I am not going to let this get me down, even if we do have a January baby!

I wanted to give you all a glimpse into the crazy timeline and all of the intricacies.  I suppose we are lucky that with technology and medicine, IVF can happen, when all of the stars align.  Here is some of the communication I received yesterday:

The protocol is a method for administering medication designed to optimize uterine development. 

MEDICATIONS
1 Birth Control Pills  - 21-day pack (1-2 packs)      
2 Lupron 2.8cc multidose vial (1-2 vials) (Leuprolide Acetate is the generic version)
3 Estrace 2mg tablets 1 tab by mouth 3x per day when directed
4 Endometrin 2 inserts twice each day when directed
5 Progesterone in oil 50mg/ml # 3 vials
6 Prenatal Vitamins 

Please note Estrace, Endometrin and Progesterone in oil will continue following the embryo transfer, please do not alter or change the protocol.

Stimulation and Travel:

Please note the projected date of the egg retrieval and your embryo transfer are estimates. Both procedures may take place 1-3 days earlier or later than anticipated, based on the donor’s response to the medications. In the event you are flying to Shady Grove Fertility Center for the embryo transfer, it is essential that you purchase airfare that allows for flexibility and change, do not purchase non-refundable airfare (we also recommend purchasing travelers insurance).

Embryo Transfer:

Based upon the quality and quantity of embryos, your Physician, in addition to the Embryology Team, will decide on the best date to transfer the embryos. Embryo Transfers are completed 5 or 6 days following the Egg retrieval. Patients can proceed with light activities immediately following the transfer, and then normal activity in 3-4 days.

Medication Instructions:

Leuprolide Acetate (Lupron) injections: Taken “Sub-Q” in the abdomen or thigh, using a ½’ needle. Lupron is generally taken for 7 days leading up to the start of Estrace and continuing at a lower dose until instructed to stop.

Estrace: 2mg tablets 1 tab by mouth 3x per day when directed

Endometrin: 2 inserts twice each day when directed

Progesterone in oil: Taken “IM” in the buttocks, using a 1 ½” needle, every day, when directed. The start of Progesterone in oil is timed in accordance to the egg retrieval. Please do not start until you are directed by your nurse.

Prenatal Vitamins should be taken every day.

You think this is detailed?  Check out the actual timeline with medication instructions!


I am blown away by the details and all of the moving parts.  I remain all in to make this work!  Not my ideal timeline, but it must be the perfect one for us!

1 comment: