Tuesday, September 8, 2020

utmost generosity

This evening, Maria brought over a spread for a delicious salad.  Veggies, chicken, and lots of extra fixin's that are splurging to us!  We are so thankful to have people like David and Maria here to support us.  Before leaving, she made sure that I understood they would be at my beckoning call for anything and everything.  She assured me that like so many others, they are unsure what to do and how to help so any and all offers will stand when we are ready to take them up on more meals, help with kids, transportation, whatever it may be.  So, so very kind!

Today was also Gregory's first day of school!  I went out to the end of the driveway to grab him off the bus, but the bus never came.  I started getting a little worried so I called school, trying not to be that overwhelming, crazy mom.  They told me that things are always out of whack the first few days - he would be there soon and if not, give it ten minutes before I called back.  Right then Ricky called and he and I talked for about 15 minutes while I stood at the end of the driveway, with no Gregory or bus in sight.  I called the school again and as they put me on hold to radio the bus, I had an incoming call from another line at the school.  When I answered, it was Gregory's sweet teacher telling me that the form I filled out last week specifically said he was to be picked up.  Oops.  I can tell you right now that I have NO IDEA what I put on those damned forms.  I was so out of it, but thought I hadn't missed a beat.  Beyond a few tears from me (for being mortified) and trying to explain that last week was really challenging, Gregory came out of the principal's office like he had had the best day in the world!  He said he thought he was riding the bus home and all I could say was that I made a mistake, it was a big one and I was sorry.  We have been trying to teach the kids that mistakes are inevitable and we apologize, fix the issue, and learn from it.  He acted like it was no big deal at all!  I mean, not every kid gets to stay late and play legos with the principal after school, right?  I am so thankful to the school for not letting on to Gregory that anything was awry and letting it all fall into place.  

Who knows what else I probably screwed up last week?  Only time will tell (and frankly, who cares!)...

No comments:

Post a Comment