Thursday, July 29, 2021

echoing perfection

My mind was running a mile a minute as I drove down to VCU - leaving the house about 45 minutes early, just in case.  I had an 8 inch text message of directions of where to go and what to do from the nurse.  Trying to figure all of that out, I arrived and waited in line on the right floor of the Children's Hospital of Richmond.  It was interesting - I was the minority there, simply because I didn't speak Spanish.  Just being in line was a humbling experience of its own - so many children passed through that obviously have constant struggles were ushered in and out.  It is always good to be reminded of our two healthy children and how we should truly be thankful for them.  

As I waited in line for my turn to check in, I received a text message from the nurse telling me to stay at home and to show up an hour late as they were running behind.  Normally, this type of pivoting would throw me for a loop and piss me off to no end.  If nothing is precious, time is.  For some reason, I was calm and collected.  Who cares.  I let her know that it wasn't a problem, I would be in the lobby when they were ready.  I wasn't expecting to sit for an hour and fifteen minutes, but so be it!  The nurse met me in the lobby just to introduce herself and apologize about the wait.  I tried to help her realize that everything was fine.


The hospital was really nice, surprisingly so.  The lobby was comfortable, inviting, and pretty quiet, too, which I was thankful for.  The big windows offered views of all of the restoration happening in downtown Richmond.  I watched workers trespassing different scaffolding and others securing windows to be installed.  For some reason, it was so peaceful.  I think God knew I needed a little time out in my life.  This was the perfect setting for it.  While I tried to do a little bit of work from my phone as emails came in, it wasn't my priority - relaxing was.  

I texted the nurse to see if I could eat an apple as I was specifically told no sugar or caffeine prior to the ultrasound.  How was I so peaceful without my diet coke?  I don't know, but I was ready to get out of there and get a hold of one, for sure.  There were no issues with the apple so I ate that and some nuts I had packed since I was told it was going to be a long day.  1.5-2 hours for the echo alone.  This did not include time with the fetal cardiologist afterwards.  

Give or take several more minutes, someone in scrubs came out of the doors where I would be taken back.  It was the nicest lady who introduced herself and also apologized for the delay.  We spoke for at least ten minutes about the procedure, her tenure in the field, this gestational carrier journey, etc.  It was such a nice conversation.  Eventually, she got a text message that said that the room was now available and that I would be taken back shortly.  In no time, I was back on the table and catered to, ensuring my comfort.

The baby offered great views at first, of parts of the heart that are often difficult to scan.  As time went on, this wiggle worm kept moving and it was really tough for the sonographer to get the still pictures/heartbeats of the flows through to different parts of the body.  At one point, she asked to take a break to see if baby would stop moving.  I welcomed that as my back was starting to hurt.  I sat up and the next thing I knew, she told me she felt that she had what she needed and she was going to ensure that the doctor agreed.  

Dr. Bhurtel came into the room, took the wand, and started doing some scanning of his own.  Meanwhile, everything they comment on is "beautiful."  I suppose this is good, but who knows?  After about 5 minutes (about 50 minutes total on the table), the told me I could start cleaning up and get ready to head into the conference room to review everything.  That felt strange.  Why can't you tell me what I need to know now?  Maybe they just needed the room?

I was ushered to the meeting room with Dr. Bhurtel and Wanda.  I asked if I could call Phillip so that he could hear what the doctor had to say, which was fine.  With Phillip on the phone, Dr. Bhurtel was concise and efficient, saying in very few words that the baby's heart is perfect!  PERFECT!  What a huge relief!  As I drove home, the exhaustion of the stress and unknown hit me.  I felt like I could barely keep my head up!  As the day went on, I tried to update those that were in the know, each time expressing praises for our God.  He is the one that is making the calls here, we are just a means of His will.  

Three days of additional worry, all for nothing.  But, adding necessary perspective to keep us humbled.  

No comments:

Post a Comment