Wednesday, January 8, 2020

attorney consult

Monday we went in and met with the attorney.  She was absolutely lovely, as was her team.  We discussed many of the logistics and frankly, much of the other items talked about have already been reviewed between the four of us and many with the counselor.  I feel as though we are on the right track.

B/P liked the attorney and decided to hire her as I could find other counsel for much cheaper and would research those.  Still, on top of the $425 consult, there is the $1800 retainer for the contract and $1550 retainer (phase 2) for the parentage rights.  This stuff is SO expensive, but frankly, this attorney has discounted the costs due to the compassionate arrangement.

I was given the name of another attorney that may be able to represent me for around $750-$1000.  I reached out to her.  Not only is she willing to represent me, but has said that based on the intracacies of it and if we work everything out prior to the contract getting to her, it could be as little as $100!!!!!  That is amazing news!  Of course, if necessary, the price could go up to $750, but this is a huge savings we were not expecting.

My only hesitation in all of this is that Bethany and Phillip want to wait on the contract (paying the retainer) until I am approved for Shady Grove's shared risk program.  I totally get it, but don't want to wait.  I think you know by now, I do not procrastinate and want things lined up well in advance.  I am trying to flesh out my thoughts on this and see how to approach it.  What I fear is that we get everything done and can't schedule a transfer because the contract is outstanding.  The transfer will really depend on the egg donor, but still there may be donors that could be ready earlier and if we wait, we may miss those opportunities.  Again, it is not all about me, but I am doing my damnedest to try to deliver in 2020.

So, all in all, wonderful outcome this week.  Not to mention, all of the ladies I have been working with (on both representing sides) have been a pleasure.  It is so nice that they are very responsive, helpful, and truly want to help us make this work!

No comments:

Post a Comment