Sunday, January 26, 2020

heeding my own advice

Do you ever feel like you can say the right things to others as you help them struggle, but fail to act in the same manner?  I have been struggling with this for a while now.

I have a dear friend that is simply amazing and goes above and beyond for everyone else but never feels like her work is done.  I often tell her "you are enough."  Why do I feel the same way?  I don't often feel like my work is done and that I am letting people down?  The fact of the matter is that I am enough and while I will continue to strive to do more, I have to accept that what I am able to do is more than plenty in the majority of circumstances.

Other family friends were having a difficult week with a hospital stay, tons of testing, fear of the unknown and ultimately a procedure and diagnoses that aren't good but manageable.  One of them said to me, I am just a worrier.  I get it.  I also worry entirely too much, but what I said to her is what I need to think often.  Don't be a worrier, instead, be a warrior.  The worrier lets fear and uncertainty bring them down, but the warrior passes strength to everyone and faces obstacles head on.  Why have I never thought of this for myself.  In this journey especially, I need to take on the warrior role and be strong for us all because there is so much that we will struggle with until the beautiful baby enters this world.

These are just two examples where I find the right words for others, but never heed the advice in my own soul.  Well, today, I will start anew.  I will work to recognize that as I help others, I am helping myself.  If I do not act on that help, none of us will be acting in our full potential.  I must keep remembering this.  In these situations, I AM a warrior that will ALWAYS be enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment