Thursday, January 30, 2020

dancing in the clouds

What a day!  It started with dreams of amazing news but understanding things may get cloudy and to be mindful of my reaction.  My head was in the clouds regardless of what I was thinking and feeling - both day dreaming and wondering what wrench would be thrown next. It ended up that I could not go to the office because Meade was sick and my parents, driving 1.5 hours to help, wouldn't be here until about 645.

Today was a big day - I have been on hormones for 15 days now and I had an ultrasound this morning.  This ultrasound was to check the thickness of my uterine lining.  I had been told it needs to be at 8mm.  As I waited in the room, I was texting Bethany.  When the doctor came in, I was going to be sure to ask if we could have Bethany on the phone.  Also, since I had never seen an MD at this location, I did a little research on the doctor.  Well, it was a man.  Strange thing - in all of my years of seeing an OBGYN and two deliveries, I had never had a gentleman do an exam on me.  Kind of crazy, but it made me a little nervous.  Regardless, I had time to kill and took a selfie in the exam room, displaying my beautiful angel that Bethany's parents sent to me at the beginning of the journey.



Dr. T walked in and I mentioned that to him.  His response was "well today is your lucky day."  wasn't sure how to take that but I laughed it off.  I asked if we could have Bethany listening in and he and his assistant were totally okay with that.  I called Bethany and the exam started.  Within no time, I was shown the lining on the screen.  I didn't want to ask a ton of questions, but he was really quiet.  Then, he put did the measurement.  8.29!  8!!!!  We got there!  This is amazing news!  Then he checked my ovaries which also had good measurements.  Bethany and I were over the moon.  The MD and his assistant said that the findings were being put into the chart just then and that Dr. Nair and her nurse would be in touch.

As I went to get bloodwork, I asked the sweet nurse if I could also use their scale.  She mentioned she didn't need my weight.  I told her that had been a huge part of this process and she was excited to let me step on the scale.  192.4!  What!!  Again, awesome news!  The nurse put it in my chart and told me it equated to a 35.2 BMI.  I need to be down to 35 to proceed!  She got my vein no problem and on I went.  This nurse is so sweet, I have really liked her the last two times I was there.

Now, it was a waiting game.  As I drove home, I started writing a text in my head to send to a few that I love and adore and ask for updates.  I was going to be quick to say it all went great, but now we have to wait for Dr. Nair to review everything and we know that could take days.  I got home, had a tight hug with my mom and shared the good news about the weight and the measurement.

When I got back to my desk I realized that Bethany had already written the coordinator to tell her that our appointment was complete and that we were awaiting word from Dr. Nair on the Shared Risk and Gestational Carrier programs.  No procrastination there - Go Bethany!  In my inbox was also a response from Dr. Nair's coordinator saying that she had requested approval and would be in touch.

At 9:08am (within 40 minutes of leaving the office), we received this correspondence:

Per Dr. Nair you are approved for donor egg and GC shared risk!

I couldn't believe it!  How was it that easy?  We knew that the waiting game would also be met with twists and turns and more obstacles.  Nothing goes easy on t his roller coaster.  It seemed too good to be true.  I started calling Bethany - her phone was going to voicemail and I assumed she was at the gym. I immediately texted Bethany and Phillip.  Phillip responded in no time and shared in my excitement.  Approved?  For both?  Already?  Really?  I wanted to write back and say are you sure but there was no way I was going to do that!  We had it IN WRITING!

We all were super emotional.  It was hard to focus on anything.  The rest of my morning at work was completely derailed, which I welcomed because it had been so stressful recently.  I think I needed a mental break and this was the best diversion I could ask for.  Whatever was waiting on me could wait a few more hours until I got my shit together and could focus again.

I ran in to tell my mom and she couldn't believe it either!  I did send a few texts to my friends that have asked for updates.  Everyone is just as excited for us and supportive as they have ever been!

 My heart is dancing and my head is in the clouds.  I have skipped right over to cloud 9 for now! 
I guess Dr. T was right when he said it was my lucky day.

No comments:

Post a Comment