Saturday, February 15, 2020

matching misconception

I have been super confused about the donor egg match and have been understanding a little more this week.  I thought it may help others if I tried to explain what I have learned. 

When B/P chose a donor that only needed one match to be complete, I thought, this is it!  Now we get the show on the road.  I assumed that we all just needed to be put on meds and the process gets underway.  Not so.  What I didn't understand was that there was so much more that needed to  happen before SGF even reached out to the donor to let her know she was matched and ready to go.

First, the other two sets of donors have to get their genetic counseling done to ensure that anything the donor has is matched with the sperm of the intended parent (or again a donor).  Based on what the sperm may carry, it is necessary to see the two side by side.  I am assuming that since the donor had not been fully matched, there was no urgency for one set of intended parents to get their counseling done.  We have learned that they have their appointment to proceed Thursday.  I do not know when we will get an answer and start the process, but what I have learned is that the IPs will have an opportunity to review everything.  It is possible that once the answers are on paper, the IPs may actually back out of that donor if they notice any concerns.  What I do not know is what happens when the match at that point.  Must all wait for another set of IPs to sign up?  Who knows!

The good thing about B/P choosing their previous donor is that they did not have to go back through the genetic counseling.  They are already aware of the details of Phillip's sperm and this specific donor's DNA.  If nothing else, it is still a waiting game, but one where B/P didn't have to worry about more appointments and decisions!

As impatient as I am, I have been super busy with work, exhausted, and under the weather this week.  Everything happens for a reason and I am going to ride this roller coaster regardless of the speed and turns until we get that smooth landing back at the gate!

No comments:

Post a Comment