Saturday, February 1, 2020

progesterone

Yesterday morning, I got the amazing opportunity to speak with our nurse at SGF.  I just had random questions about the progesterone level, since mine was higher than it should have been at that point in my cycle.  Beyond Stephanie being so willing to chat, she also shared her own experience of IVF many years ago, also with Dr. Nair.  It was so nice that we were being directed and guided by someone who had been in our shoes at one point.

For someone that is not ovulating, the level should be less than .4.  My level was 8.1.  Why is my level so high?  Basically, my body has already begun to make its own progesterone, preparing for ovulation, suggesting my period should start soon.  (Well, this morning, it did).  Most women have 28 day cycles.  I can say that my body is a little funky.  After getting the IUD removed in November, immediately starting birth control, and then being taken off the birth control, I am a little out of whack, and that can be expected.  I asked Stephanie if I had to start having 28 day "normal" cycles before we start and she said with assurance - nope, before your body has time to get back to normal, you will be pregnant.  Music to my ears.  I feel the same way! 

So, where do we go from here?  In order to ensure that my progesterone levels are right for transfer, the Lupron needs to be administered a few weeks before the hormone shots for transfer.  This will essentially put my body into a "mini menopause" in which it does not create its own progesterone.  I have sent Stephanie an email to let her know my period started and will call Monday to follow up.  I believe we will start birth control again on day 3-4 of this cycle and continue to stay on it until we are ready to prepare for transfer.  Should we not be ready for transfer prior to the three weeks being up, I will skip the placebo pills and go straight into the new month. 

When all is ready for transfer to be scheduled, we will set a plan to discontinue the birth control.  Three days prior to that discontinuation, I will start Lupron injections.  I have been told that these are super easy, like insulin shots to the belly - so very small needle and minimal pain.  I will also get blood work taken for baseline levels.  Then, when directed, I will begin the estrogen shots (the oil into muscular tissue - my bottom or thigh).  These are the ones known to burn and hurt a good bit.  Once directed, I will stop the Lupron and start progesterone via vaginal suppositories.  The estrogen shots will be every third day and the suppositories will be two tablets twice a day.  Of course, the wonderful thing about Stephanie is that she will email me a schedule so I don't skip a beat!

A few other notes:

Bethany submitted a grant application to one of the fertility organizations!  I'm praying they select her application for further review and eventually chose her and Phillip as recipients - wouldn't that be amazing!  Their gofundme is still out there at over 25K raised so far!  While amazing, this is less than half of the out of pocket expenses they will incur.  If it is in your heart and budget, please consider making a donation.

My grandfather called me Thursday night crying.  He said he got the most beautiful thank you note from Bethany and Phillip in the mail.  He has said from the beginning that this is the best thing I could ever do for someone and continually asks about how it all is going.  I told him that he would get the opportunity to meet Bethany and Phillip soon.  He perked up and asked when.  I told him I wasn't sure yet but we would make it happen.  Bless his heart, he is fully invested here, too, and we all know that his donation has made a difference and an impact. 

No comments:

Post a Comment