Sunday, June 28, 2020

shoes news

Since COVID came about, I have been pounding the pavement more than normal.  The gym is closed, so no more treadmill and I have found that my me-time out in the dark morning air is what keeps me going each day.  I have been consistently walking 5 miles each morning before getting the workday started.  My feet have been taking a beating.  About 8 weeks ago, I decided I needed new shoes.  My feet were rubbing and I was getting blisters.  I reached out to a podiatrist friend to see brands she suggested as I felt that my normal go-to Saucony's just weren't right anymore.  DUMB IDEA!

As my friend said everyone's feet are different and no shoe is perfect for any given two people, I decided to order Asics that were on sale, plus the ole handy buy one get one half off sale at Shoe Carnival.  Online, of course.  I got two of the same pair in my normal size.  The first few walks were miserable but my brain was telling me I just had to break them in.  I even bought some inserts thinking i just needed a little extra support.  Fast forward a few weeks, I was having the same issue on the top of my foot plus, big and bad blisters.  I called Shoe Carnival to see if they would accept the other ones I hadn't tried on yet back.  Absolutely, no problem.  On a whim, I told them my issue and asked if they would also consider taking back the ones I had been wearing for three weeks because they were awful for my feet.  The manager told me to bring them in and she would help me the best she could.

I headed over to the local store and first asked to be fitted.  WHO KNEW that when losing 100+ pounds, you may also drop an entire shoe size and go from needing wide ones to needing normal ones?  Well, that explains my problems!  I found one of my old faithful pairs in the adjusted size and decided on those, having to order the second pair since there were no more remaining.  When I got to register, the sweet lady, Emerald, said she would absolutely take both pairs back!  What?  That is amazing!  I almost felt kind of bad for the return but then took a moment to think about how wonderful the customer service was and how I will try not to go anywhere but there to ever buy shoes again!

I am slowly getting back to walking comfortably - the current blisters are still working their course.  However, the fit feels amazingly better already!

Moral of the story is - it never hurts to ask.  I can't tell you how many times I have asked a million questions about surrogacy, some of which weren't received so well, but I have learned my boundaries in this game.  And, trust your intuition!  If something doesn't feel right (no pun intended), investigate.  Be informed.  Be your best!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for those painful walks....but so glad you got it all straightened out! And who knew about foot size? This experience is teaching you an amazing amount, from the ridiculous to the sublime......xo

    ReplyDelete