Tuesday, June 30, 2020

crazy drug costs

I called the pharmacy when I got the go ahead to continue medication, knowing that I would need more Lupron.  Frankly, I didn't know if I had enough to get me through the weekend.  I told the lady there that I needed it tomorrow, since we go out of town Thursday.  They always send overnight, but she had to get payment before she could send.  She said she would reach out to Bethany for payment and depending on that, they will put it in the mail.  

After 5 I got a voicemail that stated they couldn't get in touch with Bethany (of course, she is with clients all day!)!  Thankfully, they called me as I asked.  I said I would pay for the costs to make sure I didn't miss an injection.  I gave them my card number and then it dawned on me to actually ask for the price.  I was asked if insurance was involved - no.  Then what clinic we work with - SGF.  I guess they had to look at some sheet and informed me that it was $600.  Are you kidding me?  $600 for a teeny tiny vial?  That is NUTS!  I don't know this for sure, but if they had to ask what clinic we are using, seems to me SGF might get some kind of kickback here.  Otherwise, the cost would be the same for anyone without insurance, right?

I knew all of this was ridiculously expensive, but I guess it didn't register truly.  On top of the extreme expense just for the IVF, there are so many drugs involved.  I can't imagine the costs I don't know about!

1 comment: