Wednesday, August 28, 2019

the logistics are daunting


So many questions, so many what ifs.  There is SO MUCH running through all of our minds.  So much that we will tackle with dignity and grace to make it all work. 


First, I called my insurance carrier to see how expenses would be covered.  Should the global professional services as well as the labor/delivery charges be coded as pregnancy, there should be no issue.  If there are ever diagnosis codes related to surrogacy, that could pose a problem.  I then spoke with my OBGYN's office and was told that they only bill for pregnancy, not denoting surrogacy as pregnancy is the presenting condition.  That's a win!!  They suggested I call a local fertility agency to get more information from them.  Of course, I did.  The fertility agency is more logistically involved on the parents-to-be's end, but I was able to ascertain a little bit of information.


Also, I found out that the egg donor could also not be a surrogate.  I realized this means more expenses for B/P, but I was also relieved that the egg couldn't be mine.  My genes are a disaster and I am not sure if I wanted someone playing roulette with those!  In addition, I think the emotional rollercoaster would be so much more tumultuous if the child was made with my DNA. 


The list of questions developing is endless!!
  1. Where can I deliver?
  2. Can I use my own OBGYN?
  3. Do I have to have all my appointments where the other couple is (about 2 hours away)?
  4. Therapy - I will likely need it to help prepare!
  5. Legally, who should we reach out to, to protect both of us?
  6. What does the process look like?
One answer seems to lead to ten more questions.  That is okay.  We are devoted to find the answers, make everything work for ALL of us, and proceed (crossing our fingers).

No comments:

Post a Comment