Saturday, September 7, 2019

reflection of faith

Yesterday I attended the funeral of a wonderful man.  A man who was the father to a great friend who is more like a brother.  I think this was the first time I have prayed with a minister in a long time (probably since the last funeral I went to!).  I remember always extending my prayer before and after the minister, asking for peace, strength and sometimes the materialization of other items that really didn't matter.

Yesterday was different.  I feel strong.  I feel at peace.  There is really nothing I need more than motivation to keep focused on my weight loss and be all I can be throughout the process.  I experienced a pretty profound moment when I simply thanked God.  I didn't ask for strength.  I didn't ask for peace.  I didn't mention anyone else.  I just thanked God over and over and over, for nothing specific.  But for everything.  It was pretty crazy to be in the moment and be comfortable just thanking him for all of the blessings already provided and the ones on the way. 

I may have said this before - I am no "holy roller," but man does it feel good to be more grounded.  To be more open.  To have a stronger relationship.  One that doesn't depend on anyone else.  Doesn't rely on the "rules" of any denomination.  Doesn't need the support of a dwelling.  Doesn't have a congregation that is really politically driven.  Oh man, it was so nice to know that I have God and I have the best support I could ever ask for - those around me because we want to be together, not because it is Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment