Saturday, August 21, 2021

a perfect day

Today was simply perfect from my perspective.  I hope that Bethany feels the same.  While I am still on high and have gotten over some discomfort for being celebrated more than I wished, I think that Christen, Antonia, Cheryl, and Maria outdid themselves to make every little detail perfect in every way. 

Albeit masks on, which made it somewhat difficult for me to breathe at times, it was wonderful to meet so many of Bethany's friends and learn the stories of their friendships.  The overwhelming amount of food was all delicious!  Christen even went above and beyond to make sure I had a diet coke while everyone else celebrated with champagne - as they should have!  The setting of Antonia's home was lovely and the perfect spot to make the shower so special.  

The little touches are what made it so memorable for me.  Throughout the house (even in the bathroom), there were pictures of different stops along the journey.  From appointments together, to snapshots of our facetimes with different doctors, to the gender reveal party, and many poignant places in between, everyone could see the lengthy ride we have been on together.  Another amazing detail was the beautiful watercolor that Bethany's mom had done.  It was an elephant holding many balloons.  At the bottom, it said something along the lines of "we wish you..." and each guest was to write one word and sign their  name in a balloon.  I loved this idea and Cheryl's talent is just amazing!


To get the party started, I was asked to wear a sash that said "Making a Miracle."  So sweet, but a little overwhelming for me.  I promised to put it on and take a few pictures but I really wanted the day to be about Bethany and Phillip - not me.  After a little mingling and eating, we all sat down to watch Bethany open her gifts.  What I didn't know was that I would be the first one showered with gifts.  Christen gave a speech that was very special and made sure that I was profusely thanked.  There wasn't a dry eye after that.  Little did we know that the water works were really about to start.  Bethany stood and read a poem that she had written for me.  I will share that at a later date.  I couldn't help but boohoo like nobody's business and with the mask, I was trying my best not to gasp for air too awkwardly.

Then, I was presented with the most beautiful angel painting and picture frame about surrogacy that held a picture of Bethany and me.  I was presented with other gifts, too, but was told I could open them later - thank goodness.  We really needed to get the show on the road and focus on Bethany!

Bethany received so much love and even more gifts from all that attended.  It was nice to see that many of the practical items were given!  When I presented my painting and a sterling silver c bracelet made by my aunt, my heart beamed with pride.  While not practical, they are gifts from the heart with lots of meaning.  I think everyone liked them and I hope they will be proudly displayed in due time.

The ride home was a breeze once I got through Quantico (prior to that, it was pretty rough).  I came home elated but exhausted, still trying to take all of the beauty of the day in.  I have a lot more to update you on, but that is for another day.  I need some rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment