Thursday, August 12, 2021

preparing the plan

If you were to ask me about a birthing plan before I had Gregory, I would have told you I didn't have one.  I have seen so many people stress out that their "plan" didn't go as hoped and devastation ensued.  That just seemed silly to me.  I vowed to go in with no expectations so as not to be disappointed and just wanted us both to be healthy in the long run.  With Meade, it was much the same but I prayed that the epidural would work so that I could be awake for the birth.

With little Flower, it is much the same as with Meade.  I just want to be awake and there not be any medical issues so that everyone can be in the operating room as discussed.  With COVID ramping back up, I think we all worry a little bit about hospital changes and those that can be in the delivery.  My hope is that this unique situation will still be able to outlast any COVID protocol.  

Even though Dr. C has made it clear that all four of us can be in the delivery room (of course if nothing medically goes awry), I want to have this in writing with the hospital so everyone is in the know.  My fear is that we have it all set up for the scheduled cesarean but we end up going in labor early and those at the hospital at that time are not aware.  

I reached out to the VCU Social Worker's number I had obtained 1.5 years ago.  The lady I got ahold of didn't know much and really didn't understand the situation.  Oh, well, I left a message with her and she was going to get someone to call me back.  In the meantime, a friend that I grew up with has recently moved from L&D at one hospital to be an RN manager in the Mother Infant Unit at VCU.  I thought it couldn't hurt to see if she could get something in writing for us.  Last weekend she and I texted back and forth and she said that while it is normal protocol for the one delivering to have one person for support and that the Intended Parents can also be in the room, she understood the desire to have it all written down.  She said that the social worker I spoke to probably hadn't had this come up before but that she would get it all taken care of and email me confirmation.

I haven't received that confirmation yet, but I didn't want to be too bothersome.  I know that urgent things come up all of the time and since we are at least a couple of months (I hope) out, this situation needs no escalation.  I got a phone call from VCU this afternoon and it was someone at the Nelson Clinic stating that they had gotten my name and number from the social worker and didn't understand my ask.  I told her what I have explained her and she basically said she was not the right person because she deals with outpatient matters, not inpatient ones.  I let her know that I was already working with my friend, Becca, and she was going to connect with her to make sure everything was in place.  

I suppose the balls are rolling and I am just not in the know yet, which is okay.  I have enough junk going on with the new job - that is for sure!  Thankfully, I have been feeling well!  I get tired and uncomfortable but who doesn't as they approach the third trimester!

No comments:

Post a Comment