Monday, August 16, 2021

chatting it up

Last night Bethany and I spoke for the first time in weeks.  I knew that they had been reeling in grief over the loss of Lucy and I didn't want to bombard them unnecessarily.  Obviously, if I needed something, I would have been more persistent, but I wanted to give them their time and be respectful of the process they are going through.  I did get a little nervous after a quick text Friday and another Saturday that weren't responded to.  So, I said heck with it and gave her a call.  In my mind, she was pissed at me for who knows what and wasn't going to speak to me.

Little did I know that Bethany and Phillip were able to get away for a few days, turning one of his work trips into some downtime for just the two of them. They desperately needed that time as they continue to think about Lucy, get everything ready for the move down to Chesterfield, and of course prepare for the baby to come just a couple of weeks after that.  

It was great to know that we were still on the same page with everything and she wants to sit down and speak further about the after-birth plan - how long do baby and I stay in the hospital?  What are my needs as I heal from surgery?  Things like that that really don't matter to me but it is appreciated that they want to be respectful of me even as they adapt to life as family of three.  Frankly, I don't know how it works for discharge.  My ideal state would be that we are discharged at the same time, but since I am undergoing surgery, I may have to stay in the couple of nights.  From the baby's perspective, I am assuming that if there is nothing wrong, they should be able to leave after lesser time, as if the baby was delivered vaginally.  I am really not sure of this, though, and told her to speak with a pediatrician that may know better.  The other thing I am unsure of is if there are any items of the pre-birth order that must be completed before the hospital will discharge to Bethany and Phillip.  I know they are working on all of that with the attorney so she may be able to better guide them in that regard, too.

All in all, it was a great conversation and we are both so excited yet both somewhat holding our breath at the same time.  We will get to see each Saturday at the shower, so that will be a nice time to celebrate her but also be together!

No comments:

Post a Comment