Sunday, October 20, 2019

legally confused

Of the few people I have socialized this journey with, three different people, on different occasions have said that I need to have Colleen Quinn represent me for the legal contract.  Several weeks ago, I listened to a radio show in which Colleen was interviewed.  If you'd like to indulge, you can find that here

One thing that I really, really liked is that their law center calls carriers that are doing this without money, a Compassionate Carrier.  No one had ever said that and it made so much sense.  Plus, it just sounds better than Gestational Carrier!  I think that as I talk more openly about this experience, that is what I will go to.  Of course, I will still have to explain because I'd have to with the GC verbiage regardless. 

After reaching out three times to Colleen, I finally got a call back.  I spoke with her legal assistant (who is new) and there were so many questions I didn't really know how to answer.  One thing I learned is that Colleen's firm always presents the paper (meaning it is their letterhead that is sent to the other attorney to review and redline).  While I would like to have her represent me, I thought I would leave the option open for B/P because they may want someone else to have everything on another attorney's "paper."  Or, maybe Colleen could represent them and then I could find someone else.  No matter what, neither of us will enter a legally binding contract with language that doesn't make sense to us.  Colleen ended up calling me to discuss everything so we were on the same page, which was really nice.

So, I am leaving this up to B/P for now to see what road they want to take.  Going with Colleen (and another attorney) will still cost probably around $4K before all is said and done, just for the contract!  Ugh, as if they already weren't committing to a huge financial burden!!

It is funny as I think back to my conversation with the other compassionate carrier I spoke to (yes, I like using that term and will do so going forward), she had mentioned that the initial contract that she reviewed stipulated the type of make up she could wear and crazy other things!  Well, if that is the way this goes, it will not be an easy process.  But, I think that B/P and Jacob and I are on the same page with everything so hopefully it will be less bumpy.  After all, together, we want the same outcome - the most beautiful one that I daydream about all the time!

"Dreams don't always have to exist while the sun's down and your eyes are shut."  Alex Gaskarth

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I have just finished every one of your blog posts....Thank you for the much needed reminder when we talked last night of the marvelous record you are keeping of the journey you, Jacob, B/P, and our families are taking. I learned so much about so many aspects of that journey that I am bowled over! And my admiration for you, along with the love, compassion, and generosity you are showing knows no bounds. What a wonderful, upbeat attitude you have; and how nice that the families are all supportive of what is happening. I look forward to continuing the journey with you, both in person and by keeping up with this blog. Sending much love and pride in both you and Jacob, along with hugs and kisses~B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so grateful to have your support. It may not be easy, but it will be beautiful :)

      Delete
  2. Compassionate Carrier indeed... That's how I think of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve! I like the ring of it myself. :)

      Delete