Thursday, October 17, 2019

the damned vitamin!

fair warning...this contains TMI...

Oh man, I have struggled with anemia for over 20 years.  In that time, I have been very dependent on iron.  Either I took it and got a horribly messed up tummy, took it and never pooped, or decided not to take it because I didn't like the side effects. 

Over the last several years, I was able to incorporate colace into my regimen which helped considerably.  Also, I now know that I cannot begin to take the iron without food in my belly.  This makes it tricky and while I have gotten a good schedule down during the work week, the weekends are much more tough.  Or, if my schedule varies, I may sometimes forget.

Fast forward to this year, at the suggestion of my dermatologist, I decided to discontinue the colace and try magnesium instead.  I have no idea what else this does for any individual, but let me tell you - that magnesium seems to be a magic pill for me.  It helped to keep me pooping, allowed me to sleep well at night (without melatonin), and everything just seemed right.

Here and now, Dr. Nair said I needed to start a prenatal vitamin to prepare my body for the pregnancy.  I. cannot. poop. again.  UGH!  I have been playing with extra magnesium, adding the citrate, trying to eat 2 apples a day verses the normal one.  Nothing is right just yet.  It will get there and I cannot wait until it does! 

Constipation - Don't give up!  Even when the going gets tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment