Monday, November 11, 2019

an overnight getaway

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of getting out of our routine, putting the kids in the car, and making a trip up to Baltimore to see some of my favorite cousins and great aunt.  While there was an episode and we were not able to visit my 95 year old aunt, we did have the most wonderful time.

I was able to steal 40 minutes to myself to go for a walk around my cousin's neighborhood to get some devoted exercise in, too, thanks to my parents.  About a half of a mile in, I really just wanted to go back to the house and take it easy.  I wanted to relax, even though walking allows me to ease my mind, I was just tired and wanted to quit.  Then, I came across this sign in one of the yards I walked by.  So fitting.  I didn't give up at that point and remembered the entire reason for being on this journey and my weight loss is a small part of it.  However, if it doesn't happen, we will be unable to proceed.

As more cousins gathered for some family time, I shared with them this experience and that while much is still unknown, my heart is all in and I have all the faith in the world that it will work out.  It was interesting to hear one of my cousins say that she was an egg donor in her twenties and she simply understood my desire.  I had never really looked at this from the donor's perspective and it is important to understand their role in this and that even though this baby will come from a generous donor, Bethany will always be this sweet thing's mama.  I really enjoy sharing all of this with those around me because it opens others' eyes to a world that is not often talked about.  I am lucky to have never experienced infertility, but I am finding such compassion for those that have walked these roads similar to Bethany and Phillip.

From the mouth of the actress that played my favorite character ever:

"Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th." - Julie Andrews

2 comments:

  1. So glad you all were able to get away and share some time with family. And how perfect that that sign cropped up....just when you needed it! :o).....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! And to learn one of my cousins had similar experiences many years ago was really cool!

      Delete