Wednesday, November 13, 2019

back to school

Today I felt as if I was back in school.  Not really, but I was learning, prepping, and getting tested.  Totally not the same as a school environment, but all of this is related to this journey and when I put it all together, although the items are unrelated, it seemed like I should be in school.

First, I attended a webinar held by Shady Grove.  It was a really good overview of IVF, what it entails, and what to expect.  I learned some things that I had not previously learned through Bethany, Dr. Nair, or individual research.  It was interactive enough to even ask questions.  I asked two because they had been puzzling me a little.  For your reading pleasure:

  1. Can an embryo still split after transfer?  Yes.  The likelihood is actually half a percent more (1.5%) to have identical twins via IVF than by conventional conception.  Of course, only one embryo will be transferred, but there still remains always the possibility of twins.
  2. For intended parents looking into the 1 donor to three couple plan, are the intended parents aware of other interest within a single donor?  Yes.  As intended parents review egg donors, they are apprised of how many more intended couples are needed for a shared donor program.
Several others asked questions that helped me better understand items from different angles.  I was indifferent about going but am so very glad that I did!

I was able to learn so much more during my HSG test at VCU today.  First, it was a great experience.  The team there was so welcoming and beyond willing to share knowledge about the test and the IVF process, even though it is not our intention to use VCU for the transfer.  That said, here is what I learned about my body:

One of my fallopian tubes did not allow the contrast to flow through.  One worked perfectly normal and that was indicated on the x-rays.  Dr. Banks suggested many reasons why the one side may not have worked (it is possible that there was a current spasm that "closed" the tube for the time being or there could be a true blockage).  Regardless of this information, there should truly be no reason to disqualify me as a candidate because the tubes really aren't necessary for a transfer of an embryo.  I have reached out to our clinical coordinator at Shady Grove to see their perspective and also determine if this information would remove me as a candidate for their shared risk program.

While the results are not exactly what I was hoping to see, I was able to ascertain a lot more information.  If we chose to do the transfer at VCU, this would be a non-issue.  Additionally, if we opted for this Plan B (if necessary), I could technically transfer at the weight I am today.  While Bethany and Phillip are comfortable at SGF, it is not the end of this journey if we need to transfer this process to VCU.

I remain beyond optimistic about all of this.  Since Bethany and Phillip previously used SGF and initial research showed that VCU may be more expensive (due to the fact that SGF has their own egg donor program whereas VCU does not and the intended parents pay an egg bank for the eggs).  Since there is an option through those egg banks to receive frozen eggs, it seems as though the costs would actually be comparable.  

All in all, I am tired but thankful after a long day.  I still know I have found my purpose in life and fulfilling this dream is m current purpose that I hope to share.  Life is good.  The stars have aligned and I still feel really good about this - albeit a little overwhelmed by everything.  Thank you all for being there for us, reading, and offering your support, thoughts and prayers through it all.  We've got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment