Thursday, May 27, 2021

an awfully good day

There's no way to explain today without contradiction.  I felt horrible all day long.  The headache is miserable.  It is strange how it is cyclical this week.  Every other day is a decent day and then a really bad day.  I guess I am lucky to say that 50% of the time, I am doing okay.  That aside, the appointment with Dr. C was perfect.  Bethany and Phillip were able to FaceTime and hear baby's heartbeat around 140!  All is wonderful with this precious little thing.  

It was restated that the only risk to baby's health due to COVID would be if my health significantly declined, which is great.  I have to continue to be cognizant of that and seek help quickly if anything goes awry.  Unfortunately, there is no medicine that will help with the headaches.  While there is one, Dr. C doesn't like to prescribe it because if taken a few times in a row, one has to deal with withdrawal symptoms of the medication on top of the headaches.  Really not worth it.  While she said she would prescribe it if absolutely necessary, she asked that I only take once every couple of days.  I decided I would continue the Tylenol regimen for now.

I must say that the office experience at VCU verses VWC is totally different.  Things take forever at VCU.  Checkout today took 20 minutes alone and that was before I could get more bloodwork drawn (for spinal defects).  I had dropped Gregory off at my aunt and uncles thinking I would only be gone for about an hour, but it was almost 2.5 hours.  I suppose I just need to factor the timing in on my work calendar from now on - frustrating but worth it to be able to see Dr. C.

One thing that concerned the nurse (and me) was my blood pressure.  It was 125/91.  To put this in perspective, my last BP was 91/66.  I always have great BP and when I am pregnant, it runs low.  This was a shock!  And, well, my weight wasn't so great, either - I gained 14 pounds since my last appointment.  So disappointing and frustrating, but I only have myself to blame.  No exercise and horrible eating are sure to cause weight gain!  When Dr. C came in I expressed my worry over the BP and she was not the slightest bit concerned - apparently if someone is in pain, as I am with this awful headache, it is normal for blood pressure to be raised.  That's good!  I also told her how mad I was at myself for the weight gain and she assured me that if this is the worst of it, who cares.  Even though I worked so damned hard to get it off, I will have the opportunity to do it again.  All that matters is that I get well and the baby continues to stay healthy, which it is.

Nana came over to help with Gregory this afternoon and then we left for my parents.  The drive down wasn't too bad, but I still feel pretty awful.  If we go in the same pattern we have been, tomorrow should be a better day!  Crossing my fingers for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment