Saturday, May 15, 2021

not so pretty

Before I went to bed last night, I told everyone not to ask me how I felt in the morning.  Awful or great, I was going to muster up the energy to pretend I was fine and go about the day as normal.  I often feel that when I let my mind wander about how awful I feel, I tend to feel worse.  If I keep my mind occupied and elsewhere, I forget about the crumminess.  Well, I did just that.

I knew I wasn't feeling awesome, but I desperately wanted to go out on the water.  It is still pretty early in the season and we didn't have any peelers to fish with, but we went out regardless.  We had squid and shrimp for bait and caught nothing at all.  Being in the sunshine with the salty air passing my face did my soul good, but really didn't help me feel any better.  I kind of crashed when we returned - just needing to rest.

Then, tonight, after the kids went to bed, I got a text from CVS stating that my results were ready for me.  I opened the information to read this:


Is it real?  How could it be?  Holy crap - what do I do now?  Are the kids positive?  Have I exposed my aging parents even though they are fully vaccinated?  What about the baby?  A million questions ran through my mind.  The most important thing for me to do was to put in a call to the OB to see what needed to be done on that front.  Protecting this baby is my main goal at this point.

I called the after hours number with VCU women's health and was told that the OB on call would give me a call back in the next 15-30 minutes.  After 45 minutes, I was impatiently awaiting a phone call.  My mom and I sat out on the concrete and made a list of all of the places I had been in the last week and what we needed to figure out for the days ahead.  What a nightmare!

Finally, we got a call back.  Dr. Cox, whom I have never met, was as nice as she could be.  She said that if any person carrying a baby is going to contract COVID, the second trimester is the best time to get it.  The majority of the formation of the vital organs is complete and the risk to me, which puts the baby at greater risk is less at this time.  The biggest worry is my health because if I have trouble breathing or anything like that, it can have affects on the baby.  In the third trimester, complications can easily lead to pre-eclampsia and other items that would mean labor induction and a pre-term delivery.  While none of this is great to hear, I suppose we got the best information we could.  I did ask if I could go to a clinic or anywhere to get an ultrasound of the baby to make sure she was okay.  The doctor quickly said that there is no condition right now that would necessitate testing or an ultrasound so no physician would likely perform those actions.  In addition, because I am positive and not experiencing life threatening symptoms, no provider would likely see me.

I am exhausted, feeling awful, and my mind is spinning.  I am going to go to bed for now to try and rest to figure out the rest tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment