Sunday, November 7, 2021

all the family

Today was a big day and I am utterly exhausted.  It started with a trip with the kids to Target.  What was I thinking?  Oh, I wanted them to pick out some special things for Sarah for her birthday later this week.  I am not the target type - at all!  So, my children very rarely go there.  It was so funny to see Meade in awe, squealing that it was the best place ever.  

Since they have been going through the motions with us, I said that they could each get a toy that was under five dollars.  Hah - that was a feat.  I think I spent almost $40 on two things - one for each of them.  It took forever for each of them to pick out what they wanted and I was beyond over it.  Finally, I let Gregory go in the boy aisle and was with Meade in the girl aisle.  Bad idea.  I don't think about kids stealing children or anything of the sort, so when I went looking for Gregory, I got a little worried.  A couple of different gentleman both pointed to aisles WAY far down from where we were.  There are definitely still good people in this world!

While the trip to Target wasn't necessarily fun for me.  It warmed my heart to see the kids so excited to pick out items for Sarah.  The fact that they really think about what she may want (but also what they like) is sweet.

Jacob's uncle from Florida is in town and Nana was planning to get us all together for lunch.  Jacob decided that he would prefer to host at our house, which makes sense for the room aspect as well as letting the kids be kids down in the basement so that the adults could have time without the constant chaos that always ensues.

Jacob and I tag teamed cleaning in the house.  I couldn't do too much, but I tried to tidy up the main floor and vacuum.  Jacob also worked on the yard.

Nana and her beau were here early to set up.  They literally brought everything.  I didn't have to lift a finger.  I felt bad that she had to do all of that - it was like she packed her entire kitchen on top of all of the food.  Anything to make Jacob happy right now.  It was good to have that floor separation with the kids, though.

The visit was wonderful as was the simple food that Nana brought.  It was so nice to catch up with Uncle Jack and learn about his new routine in Florida.  I think it is so awesome that he volunteers with a horse stable that caters to special needs kids at certain times.  Uncle Jack walks around the horses with those children and is able to see them light up in that environment.  It must be so rewarding.

As we sat around and chatted, it was funny because people often rolled their eyes at Jacob.  Nana asked how I dealt with him and some of the crazy things he says.  I told her that I used to argue with him, but now I just sit back and say nothing.  She told us of something she and others had said in the past - "TSTR."  When I inquired, it is apparently, too stupid to respond.  I like that and feel as if that is how I often approach some of these conversations.

Nana did most all of the clean up, too.  When it was time for everyone to depart, my cousins, Christopher and Angie arrived with supper.  A delicious baked ziti, salad, rolls, and rainbow cookies for the children.  Even as adults, we love the Ukrop's rainbow cookies.  They were only here a few minutes, but my parents and Sarah showed up in time to see them.  It was good for us all to catch up a little bit.  I am so glad that Mom is back for the next week.  If only Dad and Sarah could stay, too.

We had a nice supper thanks to my cousin and his wife.  Mom and Dad made ice cream pies and we sang happy birthday to both me and Sarah, a little surprise for her.  Gregory was beyond excited to present her with her bag of presents.  I think she liked most of it!  Nothing like letting young children pick everything out!

So, big day in these parts.  Mom and I looked at the calendar for the week and now we are headed off to bed to hopefully get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment