Sunday, November 14, 2021

no time for rest

Today has been another whirlwind - glad I rested up yesterday.  I got up early and did my normal Sunday morning grocery run.  Then, I was simply exhausted.  I told Jacob I need to go upstairs and lie down around 9.  My intention was to take a quick nap, get up and run some errands, then shower and get ready for a little guy's 8th birthday party.  

I didn't wake up until noon!  I slept for three whole hours!  While it felt nice, it also worries me about getting to sleep tonight.  So much for those errands, eh, I'll get them done this week.  After the birthday party, we were looking forward to seeing Bethany, Phillip and Makenna and then a couple of other friends were stopping by for a quick visit.

The birthday party was really nice.  I wasn't sure how I'd handle being in the large group of Moms and Dads that I had been with before, but it wasn't too bad.  The grandmother of the birthday boy even made a point to come up to me and give me accolades for the birth and also condolences for Ricky. She was really sweet.  

Bethany and Phillip arrived a little after we got home.  They gave the kids each a book and a present for helping me to help them become a family.  It was all super generous and the kids were in hog heaven.  I was holding little Makenna the whole time, telling her how much I loved her, and simply in awe that this little gal grew in my belly for the last 9 months.  It truly doesn't resonate.  I wonder if it ever will.  

Then, Phillip gave Jacob an envelope for the both of us.  When I got to see what it was, I was so surprised, upset, thankful, etc.  All of the emotions.  We didn't do this for gifts, we did this to give a gift - not to receive them.  Well, they had given the two of us two nights at the Tides Inn, an upscale, riverfront resort type destination on the Rappahannock - literally only about twenty minutes from my parents home.  On top of that, they gave a hefty gift card to cover all meals/amenities while we were there.

The more I think about it, this was the perfect gift.  The luxury is something we probably would never have done for ourselves and it gives us some time away that we desperately need.  I just can't believe it.

Then, there were two more envelopes - one addressed to Gregory and one to Meade, both from Makenna.  Each of them had a sweet message about how thankful Makenna was that they helped their mom make them a family and she wanted to help with their future.  Then, a very large check to each of them for their college accounts.  Again, so unnecessary, but very appreciated.  Bethany knew they would make me uncomfortable, but said I couldn't get mad because it was from Makenna.  Okay, I guess so.  The visit with them was wonderful. They had grabbed Jacob a fishing bag, Alabama shirt, lots of gift cards to different fast food places, etc.  I'm so glad they showered him with something special, too.

A little bit after they left, our friends Thomas and Nicole stopped by to bring us supper.  Their little boy and the rest of us went downstairs to watch some football and chat while the kids played.  It was a really nice time together.  

Overwhelmed is an understatement.  I hope that one day I can return all of the favors, love, support, etc. to everyone that has been so kind to us over the last several weeks.  All of it still seems like I am watching the story of someone else's life, not living it as my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment