Thursday, December 16, 2021

lots of sugar

All day yesterday, I felt like I was baking.  Meade was home and she didn't want much to do with it, but I think we baked 7 batches.  Meade has three teachers; Gregory, one; a few others we adore at RPES; Jacob has seven employees and maybe ten more teacher friends.  We've got several neighbors to drop goodies to, too.  I invited Sally and her grandchildren to bake with us, but they were busy and took a rain check to today. The kids still went over there for a little bit, a break I desperately need sometimes.

This morning, I went down to see the best new family there ever was.  Bethany and I chatted for quite some time.  I guess a lot of it is that she is a therapist herself, but she was very reassuring.  I guess I needed some validation for my feelings and she provided that, but also that we all process things differently.  I value her opinion and love that she doesn't dig, even though I am an open book with her.  

Little Makenna sat on my lap for quite some time.  I stole lots of sugar!  I just soaked it all in, the Christmas tree, the most beautiful gift in my lap and in the company of her parents.  It doesn't get much better than this.  Bethany gave me a gorgeous ornament and two frames with pictures - one was their family photo and another of Makenna solo.  I will cherish these forever!

It was so nice, too, that Bethany's parents stopped by for a little bit.  They also brought gifts that we will open later.  Ugh, everyone is too nice and generous!  After a while, I wanted Cheryl to hold the baby.  I almost get more joy watching others with Makenna than me holding her myself.  I really enjoy it.  

Makenna had not been with Mimi long before she couldn't get comfortable.  Everything that Mimi did just didn't satisfy Makenna.  Bethany asked her mom to hand Makenna back to me as an experiment.  Just to see what happens.  In no time, I had her on my legs, pumping her legs and she calmed down quickly.  I don't know if it was me or the position, but I will take it.  This sweet thing will always have a special place in my heart.  The time with them today was just amazing.

I got home with just enough time to sweep up kid crumbs in the kitchen before Sally and her grandchildren came to bake.  Thank goodness I had this set up - Jacob has asked for 16 more bags to give more people at work!  The time that we had with Sally and Dave was lovely, too.  After we finished baking, the kids played and the four of us chatted.  It was nice to get to know them better.  We really couldn't ask for better neighbors, just three doors down.

No comments:

Post a Comment