Friday, November 13, 2020

a daring ride

As we are on the ride to Rockville, I brought a couple of books with me.  I am in the backseat of my dad's truck and boy is it comfy!  If my mind wasn't going a mile a minute, I would try to take a nap.  I pulled out what I am reading for a book club at work - Dare to Lead by Brene Brown.  Boy is this lady pretty cool.  I wish we could be friends.  

I am behind reading - the chapter I am working on now was discussed yesterday but I was on PTO, so I gave myself some leeway.  I am so glad I did.  While still on a high from that impactful note from Gigi, I started reading about vulnerability.  So much of is resonated with me today and each day of this journey so far.  And, back to my earlier post, I am not invincible.  However, to succeed, I must be vulnerable.  That is okay.  It is hard, but will provide exponentially more rewards should I remain stagnant.  

In one section, this took my breath away:  

"If we are brave enough, often enough, we will fail.  Daring is not saying I am willing to risk failure.  Daring is saying I know I will eventually fail and I am still ALL IN.  I've never met a brave person who hasn't known disappointment, failure, even heartbreak...it is about having the COURAGE to SHOW UP when you can't control the outcome."

Well, my friends, this is it.  This says it all.  While I have limitless hope in my heart and the courage to be on this journey, everything is uncertain.  I did fail last time, yet I remain devoted to this.  So much of this has been a roller coaster with heartache and loops that we didn't know existed.  We have shared disappointment beyond belief.  All of this is to say that we are stronger than those things.  Those hard times will prepare us for the better times.  We keep putting one foot in front of the other, keeping the end goal in sight.  If we weren't vulnerable here, right now, where else would we be?  

I imagine we would be comfortable in our own lives wondering about what may have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment