Friday, November 13, 2020

early emotions

Sleep was a little elusive last night.  It was okay, though.  I got up around 330 instead of my normal 4am alarm to start the day, thinking that maybe I could get a longer walk in.  Prior to us leaving, I was planning on going to a friend’s house, that is a podiatrist to check out my feet – there are always issues now that I am walking a good bit.  At this point, I have a callus on my left heel that isn’t that bothersome and I also have what I believe to be a plantar wart in between my pinky toe and the next on my right foot.  This one is a pain! 

I ventured out about 25 minutes earlier than normal to walk.  I had four miles done before I met my friend Kristi to walk with her at 5 (which is my typical routine).  I completed another 3 miles with her, making it 7 today!  I am glad for that because I really should not be walking that much for the next few days once transfer is complete.  Next week I can resume, but I need to be taking it easy over the weekend.  I got rained on a little, but it was perfect.  My walks are my time with God until I meet Kristi.  I pray and pray during those first couple of miles and have candid conversations with God.  Once Kristi comes out, I have my morning therapy session – or at least I joke that Kristi
is my therapist.  Kristi brings such a different perspective to almost every situation, she is well grounded, and frankly she doesn’t judge.  It is the best of all worlds and such an awesome friend to me. 

As I often do, I grabbed the mail from the day before at the end of the walk.  Per the norm, most of it is junk mail, but there was a greeting card from one of my friends that has literally been there since we were probably four or five.  We’ve grown in different directions over the years but welcome time together when we don’t skip a beat and still enjoy each others’ company.  It is really beautiful.  Our parents have been great friends for years and years and then in our younger childhood, they moved almost across the street from us.  In my head, I thought, wow – Gigi is on top of it!  She is sending out Thanksgiving cards this year instead of Christmas cards and she is totally ahead of time!  I opened the card excited to see pictures of her beautiful family. 

There were no pictures.  Just a folded sheet of light green card stock.  In her handwriting, it simply said “Hi!” on the front.  This is interesting, I thought.  Then, I opened the card and went on to read the most beautiful note I have ever received.  Gigi put her heart on the line for no reason, just to tell me that she admires me for the person I am and that I inspire her.  I was blown away.  Through tears I read and re-read the note.  I lost it.  I was flabbergasted by the generous gesture that really means more in the world to me that most other things, especially more than anything material.  When my parents got up, I asked them to read it too – they also were dumbfounded.  I have placed this beautiful card in the book I am reading as my bookmark to be reminded often that I am doing the right things regardless of the challenges that will always lie ahead. 

I decided not to go see my friend, Julie, to get her opinion on my feet.  I felt that it was more important to not be rushed and try to relax a little bit before hitting the road.  I continued to revel in the amazing words within Gigi’s note and when I got in the backseat of my dad’s truck (yes, I am 37 and my parents are taking me to this appointment – their support is endless), I texted Gigi to let her know how much the card meant to me and the timing couldn’t have been any better.  She responded to say that she has always been inspired by me and offered her thoughts and prayers for today.  I am getting choked up again thinking about it all.  What did I do to deserve such a wonderful life?  I don’t know, but I won’t ever stop trying to do the right things to satisfy my own heart and instill the right morals in my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment