Tuesday, February 8, 2022

the power of giving

I offered earlier this week to take supper to some friends that have been having difficult times lately.  The response always is strange - are you sure?  You are dealing with enough?  Why in the world would you want to add something else to your plate?  Well, it is easy!  Selfishly, it makes me feel better to do for others.  I had one family take me up on bringing them supper Saturday.  Another family thanked me but said they were okay.  I don't want to be too pushy, but do want people to know that I am there in a heartbeat if there's something I can do for them.

When I take a step back and think about what makes me most content, it is doing for others.  Serving through kindness.  On the other hand, I have people saying all the time (Jacob mostly) that I have to stop doing for everyone else and start doing for me.  Don't fret my friends, I am continuing a keen focus on myself and who I am supposed to be.  I feel like I will be able to get there through these offers of assistance.  

I'm a saver, not a spender.  However, if Jacob asks if we can donate to someone going through a tough time or a cause he feels passionate about, I never hesitate.  I'll save all the pennies I can at the grocery store, shopping for kids clothes, or even when planning family activities.  When it comes to giving, there is no boundary.  It makes me feel so much better than spending on myself.  

I've always said that if I was rich, I would want to be a philanthropist.  What is better in this world?  Giving to make an impact on others' lives or projects is a great way not to tackle the world myself yet help those tackling little pieces of it with their slice, as the SMEs of that domain.  It doesn't make sense for me to jump in if I don't understand the inner workings of something, but it does make sense to accelerate a vision that I find passion in by helping the cause financially.

Try it, I bet you'll feel better, too!

I recently read this and it sums up my thoughts:

"You can heal faster emotionally, but also physically. There's a selfish element in it, really. When we make someone happy, we become even happier. If you decide yourself that you will help in some way, you will benefit the most because it will create amazing joy. Those who are not doing anything are missing out on a very profound joy." - Petra Nemcova

No comments:

Post a Comment