Tuesday, September 21, 2021

a life saver

While at the appointment yesterday morning, I got a text from a friend and neighbor asking if she could bring us supper tomorrow (today).  She asked what I had been craving.  While I really hate saying yes, I thought this would be a good opportunity for Jacob to be recognized.  I responded almost immediately that we would be so appreciative of supper and that while I am not craving anything specifically, it would be great if she could make a "manly" meal because I have been really cranky recently and Jacob could use a little extra support.

Without any question, she was on it.  She asked about Jacob's favorite beer and I told her that he had plenty of beer already here and if he was willing to drink it more often, we might be in a better space. I told her she could splurge on a special dessert instead of alcohol.  She ran with it and I didn't think much more of it.  

I noted it on the calendar and was surprised when Jacob asked me if Brooke was bringing supper.  I was wondering where he was told and of course, he told me he read it on the calendar - what?  He has never looked at the calendar on the fridge!  Anyway, yes, she was bringing supper.  He wanted to know what.  I had no clue and I snapped back with that response.  I don't make requests to people willing to go out of their way and do something kind for us.

Let me tell you, Brooke knocked it out of the park!  When she showed up, Jacob and Gregory answered the door.  Brooke brought in tons of food and went back to the car to get more.  I sat at my desk and continued to work.  Jacob was checking everything out and then took another box of all of the items to go along with the Mexican supper.  Brooke again went back out to the car to something else.  She returned with a big bin with football ribbons on each side and made a huge point to tell Gregory that those treats are for Daddy only.  The football snacks are for the biggest supporter of this entire journey that likely gets overlooked in all the commotion.  

Jacob was flabbergasted but obviously very happy.  He even asked Brooke if this was her idea.  She said it was, which was perfect and frankly, she went above and beyond my initial thought of catering supper to his likes.  I couldn't have asked for more.  I am so thankful that Jacob got doted on a little bit - he truly needed it.  Frankly, our marriage needed it.  We spoke more last night than we had in the past two days.  What would I do without my village?  These days, I am not sure my marriage would survive, but Brooke went out of her way to throw us a life boat and I couldn't be more appreciative.

No comments:

Post a Comment