Wednesday, September 15, 2021

as if i didn't know

Well, to me the appointment today was a little useless.  The NP was very nice and accommodating, but she told me exactly what I already knew.  The scheduled 40 minute telehealth call lasted less than 20 minutes.  There was no need to up my meds right now (even though we could if I really wanted to) and she suggested I search for therapists and develop a relationship with one.  I guess the good thing is that I have told her (and now Bethany) that I am committed to finding a counselor so I will follow through.   Otherwise, today was somewhat of a waste of time and goodness knows how much it will cost!

The NP pointed out that it may be difficult to find a therapist for two reasons - many are not taking new patients and even if they are, they may not accept my insurance.  Apparently there have been some reimbursement issues in the mental health arena and a lot of clinicians are dropping their coverage with certain managed care organizations - mine one of them.  All of this said, I have reached out and left messages with four different therapists that I found on Psychology Today that are close by.  Hopefully a couple will call me back and let me know they are taking on new clients and that they still accept my health plan.  Then, we can go from there.  

It helps so much to have Bethany in my corner here, as a licensed therapist herself.  The one thing that the NP told me today that helped is that when I look into counselors I can specifically state that I want to address the here and now verses diving deeper into the past and potentially finding the many more insecurities that I am sure exist.  Plus, it will be good to have an established relationship with someone if I struggle after birth, which I have not experienced in the past.  Here goes nothing, but everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment