Friday, January 21, 2022

what a day!

We have had a wonderful day!  It started a little shaky, but everything has fallen into place.

Apparently Mom didn't sleep at all last night - she forgot her medicines.  I figured dad would have to drive back to Heathsville to grab them, but we put a plan in place, waited for CVS to open, and everything worked out better than I ever could have imagined.

Sarah and I took the kids for a walk - it was freezing, but it was worth it.  In the cul-de-sac across the street, we could see the actual resort part of Wintergreen.  Wow - I had no idea how vast this place was.  Sally, our neighbor at home also has a house here and invited us to come over and play this morning.  I didn't think we would be able to make it with our tubing time, but we did.  Their house is perfect, too!  Much more relaxed and child friendly.  They have had their home almost 20 years, raising their kids there and now their grandchildren.  Our kids had a blast playing there.

Jacob had lunch ready for the kids and then we set off to go tubing.  I had no idea where to park so we found a place and went to the ticket booth.  The guy there stated that tubing was down the hill.  No worries, until we realized it was about a 15 minute walk down the hill -  had to be almost a mile.  All I could think is that this would be fun walking back up after 1.25 hours of tubing with three tired children.  Oh well.

The kids were so excited.  Jacob went down with the boys and I went down with Meade - our tubes tied together.  It was frightening!  I was screaming the whole time - with Meade connected behind me.  My bottom kept hitting and it hurt like hell!  We were going so fast, I was sure that we were going to jump lanes and end up a bloody mess with another tuber.  When we stopped, I couldn't stop laughing with a permanent smile on my face.  I fell several times trying to get Meade and both tubes over the other lanes to make our way back up to the conveyer belt.  Even though it was scary, it was fun.  I really didn't want to go again, though.  

Meade and I fell a few times trying to maneuver the two tubes on the conveyer belt - no big deal though.  When I made it back up, I asked the people working if she was allowed to go by herself and they said absolutely!  I was done!  Jacob had the same butt issues as me and he wasn't interested in going anymore either.  We put the children down their second ride alone and they did great!  There were helpers at the bottom that would go grab Meade to get her over the lanes, but otherwise, they were pretty self sufficient.

When I realized that they were doing well on their own, I told Jacob I was going to walk up to get the car.  I needed some alone time, could use the exercise, and didn't want to navigate the trek up with the tired children.  I made it up the never-ending flight of stairs.  It reminded me of the steps going from Godwin to DHall at JMU - pure misery.  When I got up that, I went to the ticket desk and asked about the shuttle.  She called them and said they would arrive in 10-15 minutes.  Yep, I'll stand there and wait.  

When I got to the car and drove down to where the tubing was, I watched the children from the overlook deck.  Once their time was up, we were ready to get in the car and head home.  It worked out perfectly.  We were all pretty tired, but were excited to tell the rest of the family about the adventures!

Sally and Dave stopped by to visit with us.  They probably stayed for an hour and it was really nice.  Sarah tried to keep the children occupied so we could sit and chat and it worked.  Dave was an engineer with Dominion so he and dad hit it off.  Sally grew up a few miles from Mom and they both went to VT, so there was a lot in common.  It was a really nice visit.

The rest of the evening was much like any other when we are together as a family.  Bath and supper routine was normal.  Jacob watched TV.  Mom went to bed early because she didn't get any sleep last night.  Sarah, Dad and I played dice.  Then, Paul came over and we played rummy.  I had forgotten how much fun that was!  

As I get ready for bed myself, I feel like I need to pinch myself.  I can't imagine a better time for our family right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment