Monday, July 13, 2020

right on schedule

Heard from Kim this afternoon!  The donor was triggered today, my bloodwork looks great, and my lining is exactly where it needs to be!  The train has arrived at the station and we are packing up, ready to go!

Kim and I had a long conversation about everything, mostly next steps and what to expect.  Here is a little of what I learned:

My new medication schedule:
  • stop the lupron injections now
  • continue the estrace, 3 times a day orally and twice a day vaginally
  • a progesterone shot Wednesday morning between 6 and 9
  • another progesterone shot Wednesday evening (a time of my choice)
  • begin vaginal suppositories Thursday
  • continue one progesterone shot every third evening
Bethany and Phillip will get a third of the eggs retrieved.  Most likely that means they will receive 6-12 eggs, which will be inseminated.  Based on the maturity and viability of those eggs, it will determine the one that is transferred and the remainder that can be frozen (cryopreserved).  I asked if there is ever a chance that none of the inseminated eggs turn into viable embryos.  Kim said that there is always that possibility but it is highly unlikely - stressing highly.  If this were to happen, then we stop the cycle and then try again the next time the donor is able.  I don't foresee any issues there and technically we only need one embryo to make it work.  Of course, should the first not take, it will be very helpful to have some frozen to start a new cycle as soon as possible.  

Kim mentioned that I will not know the time of transfer until Saturday.  Why wouldn't they schedule during normal business hours Friday?  I have no idea.  They have us by the balls at this point - they say jump and we ask how high.  I asked if we could request a morning appointment and she said we can always request but they do not always honor those.  I asked her to request the earliest appointment possible.  My hope is that my mom and I can get on the road early and try to avoid the DC traffic both up and back.

Bethany had mentioned that she and Phillip will be there in the parking lot during the transfer.  It is really sad and disheartening that they cannot be in the appointment with me, but we have to understand that with COVID this is the new normal.  I suggested that since we have to travel back through Northern Virginia, it makes sense to just meet on our way home.  All of this is to be determined based on their comfort level and the timing of everything.

I am so excited, scared, nervous all at the same time.  Most importantly, I am full of faith while keeping expectations realistic.  Even if it doesn't work this time, we will keep trying.  I am determined to make them the Mama and Daddy they deserve to be.  Everything will work out, even if it is not immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment