Wednesday, August 26, 2020

now what

 Dr. Reh called this afternoon. She went over the options again for miscarriage.

  1. Let your body take care of it on its own.  This may take the longest, but is likely the easiest and definitely the cheapest option.  However, if no negative pregnancy test is found in weeks to come (which is what we need to start all over), a D&C will be necessary to remove any remaining tissue.
  2. Take meds to induce labor.  From what. Dr. Reh said (Dr. Nair is out this week), this option is probably one of the most painful.  Basically you have to be monitored very closely a I would be given medicine to put my body into active labor, allowing the cervix to open and the uterus to contract and pass all of the conception material.  Should this not get everything the first time and after an ultrasound confirms that, you take the meds again and the process is repeated.  If after the second time, conception material still remains, a D&C will be scheduled.
  3. Schedule a D&C.  While this surgery is under general anesthesia, it is the one way to get everything done quickly and efficiently.  It is also the most expensive, as going into the operating room and having an anesthesiologist, etc.

Last week as I was given these options, I had decided if it went this way we would let my body do the work as it should.  However, knowing that both options could end in the third, it makes sense just to have the surgery and move on as quickly as possible.  Dr. Reh said that I could possibly get in for the surgery this week or definitely next. 

When Kim called and basically restated everything that Dr. Reh had, I let her know that the D&C seemed like the best option, however I would not do it without understanding the out of pocket costs associated.  Is this included in Bethany and Phillip’s original outlay?  If not, how much would it be?  Could SGF bill my insurance for the procedure so we would just have to pay my member responsibility?  Kim, our nurse did not have answers to these questions and said that she would have the financial coordinator call me tomorrow.  Kim was so gentle and kind throughout the conversation.  These are probably some of the most difficult she has to say, but she is a pro.  She put me at ease and reassured to me that my body has done absolutely everything it should have done and that I should feel no responsibility for the miscarriage.  I think it is hard to get to that point yet, but knowing this isn’t the end, that we can still try keeps me strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment