Tuesday, October 19, 2021

a new community

When people ask about our new house, I am quick to say that I miss the old one.  While I do, I am learning that God put is right where we needed to be.  This new home isn't as much about the dwelling as it is the community that now surrounds us.  Even though we lived super close and in the same neighborhood for the last five years, we weren't in a spot that was conducive to get to know the neighbors and just chat on the street.

The kids have found so many wonderful people that we must talk to each day.  I had to ask Gregory yesterday who Mimi was and he said our next door neighbor had asked the children to call her Mimi from here on out.  I am telling you, that is just the way it is around here.  One gentleman walks when we go out for our little walk before school and he is just a good friend.  Retired and knows my uncle from his time with Henrico schools, Mr. Bruce is always checking in on the children and asking us what we may need.  His wife and five other ladies, or "the ladies" to the kids, are always a two minute stop to chat and let the kids pet the dogs or give them treats each morning on the walk.  Everyday they are asking how I am feeling if I need anything.  

Another sweet, sweet lady that lives a few houses down we often see with her dog that the kids adore.  She gave us her phone number a few weeks ago should we need anything at all and last week she told us she would be bringing supper tonight.  I was blown away and when I told her she didn't need to do that, she laughed and said I don't cook but the Fresh Market has the best suppers on Tuesdays.  

Sure enough, Mrs. Sally came over with a delicious meal that we all enjoyed but more than that, just the fact that she thought of us and that I may need a break is more than I ever could have imagined.  She has told me multiple times to call in a pinch and send the kids down to play because she enjoys time with children.  

All of these new neighbors, now friends, are just amazing.  I never realized that by moving to the back of the neighborhood would be so much more than a bigger house with a couple of upgrades we had been looking for.  

I am so appreciative for this new community and the fact that I slept well last night.  I have had a great day, even though I didn't go for my early walk.  I have felt like a new person and I can't ask for much more than that.  I'm definitely ready to get the show on the road but the days will be much more bearable if they keep coming as it did today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment