Thursday, October 28, 2021

pre-op

I had been waiting all week to hear from VCU to schedule my pre-op appointment.  I knew I needed to get that iodine stuff to shower with, my COVID test, and other stuff I wasn't quite sure of.  Nor did I know what time I needed to be there.  Surgery was scheduled for 12:30 and I assumed I needed to be there early? Since I hadn't heard anything, I called them this morning.  The nurses line told me to call the L&D department.  I called them and the lady was super sweet and couldn't figure out why I hadn't been called.  In her words "everyone else on the list is crossed off, I am not sure why she didn't call you, too."

She told me that I needed to come in today for the COVID test.  I was proud of myself when I said, no.  I cannot.  I cannot do one more thing today and you all will have to work with what you've got, just like if I had gone into labor on my own and simply presented at L&D without being on the schedule.  She understood and told me to be there at 1030.

Mom and Dad are coming this evening.  Dad will drop Mom off to be here with me through the next couple of weeks.  I desperately want to see them - in my own home, without a million other people.  My friend, Becca, that has helped me facilitate a lot of the logistical things for the birth reached out and told me to be there by 8-830 so that they could get a rapid COVID test done for me prior to surgery.  Not a problem.  Jacob and I will just drop the kids off at school and head that way.

I am so ready for this physically, but I am not sure my emotions are ready.  We have worked so hard for so long.  Amidst everything else, we need to celebrate this little girl and this family that we are making!

No comments:

Post a Comment