Sunday, October 3, 2021

to jacob's surprise

Jacob and the children brought in a package this afternoon.  I had gotten into him a couple of weeks ago because he opened something from Amazon in front of the children, which happened to be a Santa gift (yes, I am crazy, but I am basically done with Christmas shopping).  His name is on all of the stuff coming from Amazon.  He told me he put a package in my chair.  Knowing I hadn't ordered anything, I was confused.  I went to take a look and noticed it wasn't from Amazon and will still addressed to him so I said that he needed to open it.  

Much to his surprise, it was a Justin Tucker Baltimore Ravens jersey.  To say this man was excited is a huge understatement.  Apparently, just the weekend before, Tucker had won the game for the team with a 60+ yard field goal.  (I could totally be wrong, I don't listen to all he says.)  Even though I had an inkling of where it came from, there was no message or anything with it.  He texted his brother and a few others asking if they had sent it - no dice.  

Behind the scenes, I sent a text to my cousin in Baltimore, Annie Rooney and asked her to reach out to Jacob letting him know he had something delivered today.  She did just that.  He was so excited to get the call from Rooney to say that she knows Jacob has been an integral part of this journey, even though his body is not in the  middle of it.  Therefore, he needs to be recognized, too.  It was so darned kind of her.

Earlier in the week, Rooney reached out to me to check in and see how things were, how far along, etc.  It was so nice of her and out of the blue.  My mom's cousins in Baltimore are extremely special to me and always have been - they have literally all always treated me kind of as a niece.  Jacob loves them just as much as I do - with the exception of the fact that they kiss on the lips all of the time, before COVID of course.  I made it known to Rooney that we needed nothing although my marriage may need a booster when all is said and done.  I told her that if she wanted to do something, make it all about Jacob.  She did not disappoint and I am not sure I can convey how happy Jacob was to get the jersey and the fact that he felt so darned special.  Win, win for all!!

Today, I have been feeling very sluggish and my body aches.  All to be expected, I cannot complain.  We did take the children over to my aunt and uncle's in Powhatan to say hi (it has been a while), see the chickens (there's only one left) and also go for a nature walk through the woods on their property.  It was a really nice time!  One thing I do love about the weekends is that I can tell the kids that I will do something, after a nap.  Laying on the couch downstairs proves to be amazing and the perfect spot for a quick snooze to re-energize me to play with the children.

I can't ask for much more than all I have in this crazy thing called life.  No day is easy, but everyday is an opportunity for growth and a means to find beauty in all that surrounds us.

No comments:

Post a Comment