Friday, October 29, 2021

deliverance

It is not just about the delivery of this special little girl, but about the divine rescue of my heart in this awful time.

I was rolled into the operating room and moved over onto the surgery gurney.  Then, I was asked to sit up and put my arms and face into this contraption that helped me to stay still for the epidural.  Because my delivery was Gregory was so hairy and the epidural never took, I was extremely nervous.  The shot of numbing medication definitely hurt, but it wasn't anything to fret over.

They let the numbing medicine work for a moment and then there was a ton of pushing on my back.  Fingers trying to find out exactly where the epidural needed to be placed.  I felt jolts and pushes but they didn't really hurt a ton.  There was a nurse helping me to stay calm and keep my back arched properly.  She was beyond nice.  Then, there was more tapping on the catheter.  With each tap, my right leg would kick and the pain on the right side was a little rough.

The anesthesiologist in the corner was telling the ones at my back that they were too far to the right, to back up and try again.  It felt like this went on for five minutes - way too long.  I put my head down into the head rest and prayed.  I prayed hard that they would get the epidural in without problem.  Prayers are tough these days and I started crying.  The head anesthesiologist asked if I was crying and I looked at the nurse and whispered I was okay.  She let him know that I was fine and that they could keep going.

Finally, finally, everything started to go numb!  They got it in.  Praise the Lord!  Again, I had never been so thankful, just as I was when they got the epidural in with Meade.  All of the workers in there laid me back and lifted my legs onto the gurney to continue to prep me for surgery.  The fact that I would be awake meant so much.

Pretty quickly, I started feeling awful.  I felt sweaty and out of it and had no idea what was going on.  I heard them mentioning more meds to push into my IV.  Eventually, I was told that my blood pressure dropped pretty low, which is normal right after the epidural so they just administered some ephedrine (or something like that) to get it back up.  

The nurses inserted my catheter and I didn't feel a thing.  I asked several questions, but have no idea what those were.  One of the nurses was kind enough to take my camera so that she could grab some pictures when it was time.  The drape was put into place by the nurses.  Then, Bethany and Phillip entered the room. They were adorable in their scrubs.  I just had a gown on with my sports bra - thank goodness they let me have that.  The last I wanted were my boobs flopping all over in front of Phillip.  Not that either of us cared, but it was nice to keep some dignity around the situation.

Bethany and Phillip took chairs around my head.  I continued to ask questions, like had they started cutting yet.  Of course they had.  They were still making their way through each layer, but were close to getting to my uterus.  Bethany took my hand and we just held each other for the next five minutes or so.  I didn't feel a thing and I think that they were so nervous and excited they had no idea what was going on.

I would ask for confirmation here and there from Dr. C and she would provide it.  All was going well, they were about to get to baby, etc.  Then, I heard someone say grab the camera.  The baby was on its way out and the nurse put the camera up to get that first shot.  I think Bethany and Phillip stood to see.  

Quickly, the baby was whisked away to get the first few things done in the back corner of the room.  Together, Bethany and Phillip joined her.  The nurses and anesthesiologist stayed with me and answered more of my dumb questions.  Baby didn't cry much, but when she did, it made me so happy.  

I was fully expecting little girl to be named Nora, likely Nora June.  However, we knew it would be a last minute decision after they saw her.  Then, I started to hear names I had never heard before.  McKenna was mentioned, to which I yelled I love it (not that it was my decision at all).  I also said that if she were named McKenna, I would call her Henry.  For obvious reasons of course.

Maybe Nora McKenna.  Okay, that sounded good, too.  Then, someone finally said Makenna Noelle!  Perfect, the best one yet.  And that is what stuck.  Perfect little Makenna Noelle was here!  

6lbs 11oz and 19 inches at 1:57pm 

The nurses wrapped baby up and gave her to Bethany and Phillip.  Together, the let me see her as I was still being stitched up (or having tubes removed, who knows).  The nurses took pictures of us and I just enjoyed watching Bethany and Phillip dote over sweet Makenna for what seemed like hours.

Finally, they left and then I headed back to our room in L&D to join them.  Mom was in there and it was so nice to be back and sitting up, taking things in again.  The nurses were tending to baby Makenna to my right and we were all chatting, over the moon for the miracle that had just taken place.  

Eventually, Bethany, Phillip, and Makenna went upstairs to their room in the MIU.  I would be on my way eventually.  I was just awaiting transportation.  They probably got up there an hour or two before me.  Mom stayed with me that entire time.  Becca, my fried from home that is also the manager of the MIU, came down and sat with me and Mom for a while, too.  We reminisced about Ricky, talked about the delivery, and just caught up.  That was nice, especially because there would not be any additional visitors the rest of the stay.  

I was so ready to get to my room and order something to eat.  Once we got upstairs, I started texting those on my list that needed to be informed and was trying to get a little rest at the same time.  I ordered a hummus plate and a personal mushroom pizza from room service.  I'd eat anything, but that sounded really good to me. 

The epidural is still holding strong.  The only side effect I seem to have right now is itching.  Almost all over.  It started during surgery with my nose to which I was told it was normal.  Now, my itching seems to be all over.  The nurse just gave me some meds for that and Mom and I are taking it easy.  Bethany and Phillip should be coming over shortly to visit.  I can't wait!

For Makenna, I have prayed.



No comments:

Post a Comment